On Saturdays we try to go to the 5 o’clock Mass. It fits Mac’s schedule pretty well and now that the days are longer and warmer, it’s nice to walk to and from church. Well, occasionally we get stuck talking with a neighbor for the entire 6 block walk. . .So it’s tolerable.
Since we get home about 6, pasta has somehow unofficially become Saturday night’s dinner because it’s easy to prepare. My Husband gets the credit for this dish as he started making it years and years ago when we first shacked up together in a mouse infested dump of an apartment.
It makes loads of leftovers for side dishes and lunches for the next few days too!
1. Prepare about 3/4 to a pound of whole wheat pasta – any shape – according to the package directions.
2. Thaw about a pound of pre-cooked, peeled, tail off shrimp (mediums are the perfect size) in a bowl full of cool water.
3. Start roughly chopping veggies: carrots, red or yellow pepper, red onions, sugar snap peas, cucumber and celery if you like. Anything you have on hand will be perfect.
4. Set the snap peas aside. Dump the other veggies into a large bowl. When the pasta is nearly cooked, dump the snap peas into the boiling water for a few minutes until they are crisp/tender.
5. Drain the pasta and peas well and rinse with cool water so they stop cooking in the colander. Set aside a small portion of pasta for your Toddler to feed to the dog – err eat. Add to the chopped veggies and coat with some dressing. We use the old school Good Seasons that you make in the curette. However, we use balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar when we make it. It’s important to just lightly coat the dish with dressing. You want to make sure the pasta doesn’t stick but you do not want a soggy soupy mess.
6. Drain the thawed shrimp well and add to the pasta, veggies, and dressing. Pop in the fridge for a bit to cool everything.
7. Serve with additional dressing, sprinkles of Old Bay, and some type of shaved/shredded/crumbled cheese if you are fancy like that.
Ta-Da. Relatively Healthful in a Hurry with awesome LEFTOVERS!